If you want to develop an effective fundraising strategy, just look at how technology has impacted nonprofit growth and revenue. Technology is an ever-evolving tool that can boost donor engagement, as well as revenue.
This is why we compiled a list of tech-savvy tips you can leverage to engage your donor base and keep them involved with your cause:
- Turn donors into fundraisers with peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Make it easy for donors to give using mobile donations.
- Use software to host engaging events.
- Leverage data to further engage your donors.
Maintaining a relationship with your donors doesn’t have to be a challenge. Check out these ways that technology can give you the boost you need!
1. Turn donors into fundraisers with peer-to-peer fundraising.
What better way to increase donor engagement than by turning them into fundraisers themselves? This can be done through peer-to-peer fundraising.
Peer-to-peer fundraising is an excellent and effective social giving strategy during which nonprofits call on their supporters to fundraise on their behalf. With the right tools and platform, your supporters can set up their own campaign pages to raise money toward your main fundraising goal. Visit the OneCause guide to peer-to-peer fundraising to learn even more ways you can leverage this type of campaign!
As a summary, here is why peer-to-peer fundraising is so effective:
- It causes your donors to become more engaged with your nonprofit, as they get a taste of what it’s like to fundraise.
- It allows you to tap into brand new donor networks based on your participants’ network of friends, family and colleagues.
- When tied to an event, like a 5K race or a walk-a-thon, the sense of urgency leading up to the event can help maximize your fundraising potential.
Turn your donors into fundraisers with the right peer-to-peer fundraising tools and watch your engagement level rise!
2. Make it easy for donors to give using mobile donations.
One of the best perks from the popularity of smartphones is the rise of mobile donations. Meeting your donors where they are (on their phones!) is a great way to boost engagement because they can give on the go.
Mobile donations can take the form of:
- Mobile-friendly donation pages. Make sure your online donation page is mobile responsive, meaning it adjusts to fit any size screen on any device. When your donors don’t have to zoom in and out to view your page (which can lead to poor user experience and page abandonment), you may bring in more donations. Don’t stop with just the donation page. Make sure all of your pages on your website are mobile-responsive.
- Text-to-give solutions. Allow your supporters to easily give to your organization on the go, whether they are attending a fundraising event or going about their day as usual. All they need to do is text a predetermined keyword to your nonprofit’s shortcode. This will give them a link to click that takes them to the online donation form, where they can complete their donation.
Tech solutions like mobile-friendly donation pages and text-to-give will give off the positive impression you need to engage your donors. When it is convenient to give to your organization, your supporters will do it more frequently and with ease. If you want to explore some of these mobile donation solutions even further, check out this list of top text-to-give services.
3. Use software to host engaging events.
Part of boosting donor engagement means interacting with them face-to-face. Host a fundraising event that will allow your supporters to come out, have fun and help support your cause all at the same time.
Planning an event already takes a number of project management skills, like building a timeline and creating an overall plan. However, one of the most efficient ways you can put on an event is by incorporating the use of event software. This technology will streamline your entire planning process, making it easy to track donations from the event and other relevant data to analyze its performance.
Here are some examples of how technology and events go hand-in-hand:
- Auctions. If your organization is hosting a charity auction, you can use comprehensive auction software to track item procurement, register guests, accept bids and more. Learn more with tips from OneCause to get started running a charity auction!
- Tournaments. Hosting a golf tournament? A dance marathon? Register your attendees with event registration software and capture the information you need. Then, you can use that information when you’re planning your next campaign outreach (more on that later!).
- Fund-a-need campaigns. Donation appeals that happen during your events can lead to tons of giving in real time. Use mobile donation software to collect these donations and streamline the process, making it easy for anyone at your event to give.
Technology can make planning your event and organizing your data simple and easy. Investing in the right software now can help you raise even more down the line, making the initial cost totally worth it. Take a close look at what your organization needs in order to engage your donors and see what events and other areas could benefit from software!
4. Leverage data to further engage your donors.
Analyzing donor data is a must for any nonprofit, but it may not always be the easiest task. What if you had a simpler way to sift through your donor information and leverage relevant metrics to increase engagement among your supporters?
If you are not leveraging technology to do this, you might want to take a step back and evaluate your current strategy. Are pieces of information falling through the cracks or difficult to find? Are you personalizing all of your outreach to donors? How long does it take to do that?
Consider these tech-fueled strategies to use your donor data and engage your supporters:
- Use the best constituent relationship manager (CRM) tech. Leveraging a robust CRM solution that tracks and cleans up all of your donor data allows you to focus more on engaging your supporters. It is even better if your CRM integrates with your fundraising software. Personalize your outreach based on gift amounts, events attended and more to show your donors that you appreciate their support. This can also do wonders to retain donors in the future.
- Marketing automation. Use an email marketing platform that can help you automate donor outreach. This in conjunction with your CRM will ensure you make the most of your supporter interactions!
- Learning opportunities. Take advantage of additional learning opportunities to boost your nonprofit’s productivity and take advantage of all the resources available to you. When you understand the best practices associated with using technology, managing projects and organizing your donor data, you will set your organization up for success.
Maximize your use of donor data and stay in touch with your supporters. When you show appreciation for their donations, invite them to future events and get to know them on a more personal level, their engagement with your nonprofit will skyrocket.