WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT FROMABOUT YOU AND WHY?
We may collect information about you or from you, including about your organization, when you affirmatively provide it, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information You Affirmatively Provide.
If you wish to use some of our Services, you will need to provide us with some of your Personal Information. For example, to register for an educational course with Philanthropy U, Inc., you may be required to provide your name, email address, a password, and some information about your employment status and organization. You may also provide additional information to us, such as information about you (your demographics, your interests, your goals) or your organization (its size, location, funding, and capacity).
Information We Collect Automatically.
We may automatically collect Personal Information and other information and data about you and your use of our Site or Services through technologies, including but not limited to cookies and web beacons. These technologies may collect information which includes but is not limited to your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and/or use our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies).
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We may use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Site. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Site.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We may use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, and potentially to place information about our services on our Site and on third-party sites.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features may not function.
Clear Gifs, Pixel Tags and Other Technologies.
Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
We use the Personal Information and other information we collect from and about you for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- EU-based users – we will only send you marketing emails where you have opted-in to receive them and you can unsubscribe from these marketing emails at any time.
- To better understand and report publicly and to third parties on how users access, use, and benefit from our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes. We may use automated devices and applications, such as Google Analytics, to help us evaluate usage of our Site and Services. We use these tools to help us improve our Services, performance and user experiences, and understand whether our Services are delivering results for our users and their organizations.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information; if you are the Administrator for your organization, you may modify organizational information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your organization’s dashboard. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time and that we will retain records of information previously provided.
If you are an EU citizen and reside in the EU, or are non-EU national residing in the EU, you may have the following rights with respect to the Personal Information you provide to us, to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws:
- To withdraw any consent that you have provided to us to process your Personal Information.
- To access or rectify your Personal Information.
- To have your Personal Information erased if it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was processed, you have withdrawn your consent to, or object to, its processing and there is no other legitimate grounds for processing it or you consider it has been unlawfully processed.
- To have the processing of your Personal Information restricted if you contest its accuracy, its processing is unlawful, we no longer need it but you need it for a legal claim, or you have objected to its processing and await verification of our legitimate grounds for processing it.
- To have your Personal Information transferred to another company under certain circumstances.
- To complain to your national data protection regulator if you feel that your Personal Information has been unlawfully processed.
WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE REGARDING USE OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. For EU-based users: we will only send these to you where you have opted-in to receive them.
If you decide you no longer want to receive these emails from us, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF INFORMATION
We are an organisation based in the United States and so if you provide your Personal Information to us, that Personal Information will be transferred to the United States for processing and storage. Please note that the laws of the United States may not provide as much protection for Personal Information as the laws of certain other countries or territories.
For EU-based users:
- where you have registered for our Services, we will transfer your Personal Information from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) to the United States for processing in order to provide the Services to you;
- where we need to transfer your Personal Information to a third party business provider which is based outside the EEA, we will ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to the transferred Personal Information by incorporating specific protective clauses approved by the European Commission into our agreements with the recipient of the data.
CHILDREN UNDER 13
Our Site and Services are not designed for children. If we discover that a child under 13 (or if being a ‘minor’ is a higher or younger age than 13 in your country, that relevant age) has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically at http://philanthropyu.org/privacy to familiarize yourself with any amendments to the Policy. If we make any material changes to the Policy, we will post a notice that such changes have been made on the homepage of the Site.